I’m super excited to be participating in the Farm City Fair this Sunday (9.12), part of the larger 2-week-long Farm City event. I’ll be leading a worm composting demo and tabling all day alongside the NYC Compost Project in Brooklyn. If you come to the event you’ll also get a chance to learn some other great DIY skills from some of my favorite people, like:
- Foraging with Leda Meredith (Leda’s Urban Homestead)
- Pickling with Kate Payne (Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking)
- Honey Extraction with Meg Paska (Brooklyn Honey)
- Sausage Making with Tricia Okin (BK Tactical Meet Labs)
- and much more!
Full details on the day’s events below:
The Fair is a wild new take on the traditional County Fair.
Join us for a day-long celebration of art and food grown in Brooklyn!
The Fair aims to collapse the boundaries between consumer and producer, reducing disconnect between city dwellers and sources of our food stuffs.
Festivities engage all the senses:
- hear live music performed local alt-marching band Asphalt Orchestra and special guests presented by Club Barbes: Banda de los Muertos, Djarara, and Slavic Soul Party;
- taste food prepared by local chefs committed to local ingredients;
- view specially commissioned work by local artists;
- get in touch with how to produce your own food in workshops by Brooklyn Food Coalition;
- browse a marketplace with some of Brooklyn’s best small-batch artisanal food purveyors, curated by Joann Kim of Greenpoint Food Market!
- show off your home-grown garden produce at Greenthumb Blue Ribbon Competition; &
- Cap it off with a ticket to The Food Experiments “Brooklyn Roots” cook-off competition. BUY TICKETS HERE!
Featured artists premiering new works include:
- Tattfoo Tan, S.O.S. Mobile Classroom
- Mathilde Roussel-Giraudy, Ca Pousse!
- Miwa Koizumi, NY Flavors Ice Cream
- Andrew Casner, Compost Painting and
- Wylie Dufresne, wd-50 chef, a new recipe for download and degustation!
Featured Chefs putting Brooklyn into the local diet include:
Sunday, September 12, 2010
11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Invisible Dog Art Center
51 Bergen Street, Brooklyn 11201
(Except for The Food Experiments, where you can also have some fine libations courtesy of Brooklyn Brewery)